Chunky Beef HotpotUpdated: 25 June 2012 | Author: Bulla Dairy Foods
A perfect winter warmer
Method (Stove Top + Pre-heat oven 150c)
- Place the flour, salt & pepper in a plastic bag. Add the beef to the bag and shake to coat well.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over a high heat and brown beef well. You may need to do this in 3 batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add the oil, shallots, garlic and thyme to the pan sauté 3 - 4 mins.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir in the stock and brandy. Bring to boil.
- Cover casserole and place into the pre-heated oven 150c for 1½ hours.
- Heat butter in a shallow pan for 2 mins. Add mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Season with black pepper and stir in Bulla Crème Fraîche until creamy and smooth.
- Remove beef from the oven and stir in mushrooms. Top the casserole with the prepared dumplings, cover and return the casserole to the oven.
- Continue to cook for a further 30 minutes or until dumplings are cooked and lightly browned.
- Serve hot with a dollop of Bulla Crème Fraîche.
- Place the flour, salt, butter and Bulla Crème Fraîche into the work bowl of a food processor and process well to combine.
Add the fresh herbs and enough water to make a soft dough. Form dough into walnut sized balls with a little flour. Use as required.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg topside beef, cubed
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp branding
- 2 tbsp butter
- 400g mixed mushrooms, halved
- 200g Bulla Crème Fraîche
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Bulla Crème Fraîche to serve
- 2 cups self raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 40g butter
- 100g Bulla Crème Fraîche
- ½ cup fresh chopped herbs (parsley, chives, basil, dill)
Water to mix
Cooking Time: 2 hours
In place of dumplings, circles of puff pastry can be used. Oven temperature will need to be increased 210c to cook pastry circles for 12 – 15 minutes.